There are lots of good sites that have defined printmaking terms for the serious student. I shall pick a couple of good ones and link to them. However I thought I would list a few basic terms and ideas that I will refer to. Will build this page up over time (I promise myself).

AP: Artist’s Proof This is a trial print during print progress to see how things are going. I often use a blurred, smudged or otherwise badly printed copy to trial colours.

A brayer is a small hand roller, typically used in printmaking techniques to spread ink.

Burnish: to burnish is to rub the back of the paper (with a spoon or other burnishing tool) in order to transfer the ink from the block to the paper

Edition Works printed from a single plate. In modern times usually each signed and numbered to form a limited edition.

Gouache paint This link goes to artslice explaining gouache (includes a nice photo). The difference between gouache and watercolour is that gouache has opacity gained from the added white paint or pigment. These paints aren’t what I use for painting prints, but a lot of very good people do.

Matrix I love this one, being a fan of the films! Was excited to find out that it means the block that you print from, in this case the piece of lino.

Quote from History of Printmaking: Although linoleum as a floor covering dates to the 1860s, the linocut was invented by the artists of Die Brücke in Germany between 1905-13. At first they described their prints as woodcuts, which sounded more respectable.

Wikipedia printmaking

Encarta MSN encyclopaedia printmaking


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s